The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you." (Exodus 25:9)

When I found out that I'd be staying in PE for the summer, one of the things I was most excited about (besides the dorm's sentimental value and air conditioning) was the chance to witness firsthand the chapel renovation. This chapel was the unfortunate victim of '80's architecture and a pantsuit-nun rector, and featured such lovely furnishings as the "Birdcage Tabernacle" and lots of pillows (Mary Liz and Em - I don't have any pictures of the chapel at the height of it's sadness; do you?). According to the hall manager, this summer the chapel will see $800,000 of renovations, including stained glass, getting rid of the pillars, and knocking down walls. Below are pictures of the chapel as it is today, with the altar and everything else moved out and the "bulldozing" (the rector's word) having just begun. I'm planning to post updates as often as something significant happens. While I'm sure that the space won't turn into sometime magnificent, I'm hopeful that something good will happen.





Labels:

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com