The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Monday, April 10, 2006

I'm pretty good at finding modest clothes, non-offensive movies, and good music, but I discovered a new challenge today. I took Nick to the library today so we could pick up some stuff to read on our way to Notre Dame on Thursday, and we couldn't find anything in the Juvenile Fiction section that looked worth reading. There's just not that much out there for a kid who's already read The Chronicles of Narnia, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and the Redwall series, but isn't ready to tackle Tolkien yet. I mean, we could have picked up an edifying-looking little charmer called I Know Who Likes You!, My Teacher Glows In The Dark!, or any one of a dozen books about a repressed girl in the Middle Ages/Colonial America/Turn-of-the-Century who finds fulfillment only when she disguises herself as a man and discovers that women really can do anything. I was kind of at a loss for what to recommend, since he's already rejected most of what I read as a child (The Indian In The Cupboard, The Borrowers, and, of course, Little House). I thought he might read Peter Pan (you know, pirates, Indians, all that stuff 10 year old boys are supposed to be interested in?), so I picked it up, but he didn't look impressed. I guess if there's nothing to be found, I'll just have to write something...

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com