The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Satisfaction Guaranteed

I was skimming a Chicago Tribune article about a total-face transplant, when I hit a paragraph that stopped me dead in my tracks:

Arthur Caplan, a leading bioethicist who has expressed concerns in the past about such surgery, withheld judgment on the Cleveland case but said the woman's doctors should give her the option of assisted suicide if they make her life worse.
(article)
Seriously? I'm certainly not denying the trauma that would drive someone to this measure, but presenting someone with the option of suicide because a failed reconstructive surgery? Then again, I suppose we can already kill other people based on their appearance...

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com