The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Kitchen Goodness

A few recipes I've tried out lately:

  • Granola. Based on this recipe (with the following changes to the ingredient list).

    6 cups rolled oats
    1 cup sunflower seeds
    1 cup chopped almonds or pecans (I used - I think - a 6 oz. bag; it came out to about 1 1/2 cups. I didn't have a knife handy, so I just broke them in half, which was perfect)
    3/4 cup coconut or canola oil
    1/2 cup real or maple syrup
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
    ½ cup flax seeds
    1/2 cup sesame seeds
    Up to 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I couldn't find unsweetened, but regular worked just fine)
    1 cup dried cranberries
    3/4 banana chips, broken


    Thanks to the dorm oven, one pan burned a little, but once it was mixed in with the rest, it actually gave it a nice flavor.

  • Oatmeal cookies. In search of a cookie recipe that only made a dozen or so, I came across this one, which uses instant oatmeal. I took advantage of the stockpile of oatmeal left over in the kitchen (unfortunately, the packaging was all in Spanish, but I managed to guess pretty accurately which flavor was in which package). I added vanilla extract and chocolate chips, and they turned out really well. Plus, it only took me about 20 minutes start-to-finish.

Labels:

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com