The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Book meme

As Emily has passed on this book meme to me, I'll do my best to answer (though it's not like I stay up late at night counting my books.....well, not too late)

1.Total Number of Books I Own

Like I said, I've never really counted, but I would have to guess and say around 150, or in other words, not nearly as many as I should.
2.The Last Book I Bought
Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis. Yes, it is a real book. Yes, it is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone translated into Latin. And yes, it is an enjoyable read.

3.The Last Book I Read

The last book I finished was Timeline by Michael Crichton, but I'm also currently reading Harrius Potter, as well as Love Letters to My Husband by St. Gianna Beretta Molla. The latter is a great book, and I highly recommend it to everyone (my first impression was that I would have canonized just based on these writings).
4. Five Books That Mean a Lot to Me (in no particular order, and not counting Scripture)
Little House on the Prairie Not just the individual book Little House on the Prairie, but the whole series (and yes, I can list them all in chronological order). I think these were the first chapter books I ever read, and I've re-read them countless times. These books are undoubtedly the reason Mom made me a sun bonnet when I was little, not to mention the week of "prairie school" we attended several years ago, and the side trip to De Smet when we went through South Dakota last time (not this summer, but the time before that). And just in case you're wondering, yes, we have been told that our family reminds some people of the Ingalls family. If you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, read the books. They're well worth the time.

Letters to a Young Catholic Emily gave me a copy for my birthday last year, and I've already read it several times. I love the way he links the "classic" symbols and places of the Church to the modern Catholic life.

Love Letters to My Husband This book is a collection of letters written by Saint Gianna Beretta Molla to her husband Pietro during their engagement and marriage. I'm currently reading it for the first time, and haven't even finished it yet, but already it has had an impact on the way I look at relationships.

Dr. Suess's ABC Undoubtedly my favorite childhood book. About a month ago (on vacation, if I recall correctly), I started reciting it just to see if I still remembered it, and lo and behold, with all of us working together, we got through the whole thing. I was crushed when I picked up a copy recently to read to a girl I was babysitting, only to find that it had been destroyed by PC editors (Warren Wiggens no longer washes Waldo Woo, nor does Uncle Ub have and umbrella and underwear, too). I suggested to Mom that she should find copies of the original edition to give to each of us kids when we have our first child.

Ecce Romani This book is different from the rest on my list because, well, I'd be happy to never crack it open again, but I don't think I'll ever forget those immortal words: "Ecce! In pictura est puellam, nomine Cornelia..."
5. Tag five people, and have them do this on their blog. Well, I don't really know that many people who blog, and most of them have already been tagged, so I'll give it to people who have commented on this blog in the past (that's what you get for commenting!): Kevin, Hugo, Totus Tuus, Jenny, and anyone else who is interested.

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com