The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Geek rant

"I'm not making these, oddly enough, to be giant, successful blockbusters. I'm making them because I'm telling a story, and I have to tell the story I intended."
-George Lucas
(entire story here)

I have just a little trouble believing that. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge fan of the original Star Wars movies. But the storytelling in Episodes 1 & 2 definitely took a backseat to...pretty much everything else. Episode 1 was obviously playing toward the 10-year-old boy demographic, and Episode 2 tried to snare the pre-teen girl group (and I must say, as someone who was a pre-teen girl when it came out, I was not impressed). Don't tell me he's not making them to be sucessful.
I heard it said once that George Lucas should be tied down and forced to read his own dialogue. I'll bring the rope.

But, hey, I can be an optimist. Maybe Episode 3 will be everything the other two weren't. Maybe it'll be awesome and (almost) make up for the last two. I'd even go to a midnight showing if I weren't going to be out of town.
Whew...got that out of my system. Now I can go back to being a non-geek for a while (until May 19, anyway)

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com