The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

When you care enough to sing the very best...

We sang a song at Mass this morning that I've never really particularily liked, musically speaking, but then Jenny pointed out the lyrics to one of the verses, which I had never looked at closely, and I shuddered:

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through.

As she remarked, it sounds not unlike a Hallmark card. Even worse than that, though, was the Agnus Dei. I've just about had it with musicians taking liberties with that part of the Mass, and today's was so bad that it was all I could do to keep reciting in my head "Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi...":

Jesus, Lamb of God,
you take away the sins of the world,
have mercy on us.

Jesus, Bread of Peace,
you take away the sins of the world,
have mercy on us.

Jesus, Hope of Us,
you take away the sins of the world,
have mercy on us.

Jesus, Tree of Life,
you take away the sins of the world,
have mercy on us.

Jesus, Saving Cup,
you take away the sins of the world,
have mercy on us.

Jesus, Lamb of God,
you take away the sins of the world,
Grant us your peace.

Stick to the script, people!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com