The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Mr. Tambourine Man (or: "I have a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!")

I rather amusing set of coincidences has occured since I posted a few days ago about cowbells during Mass. First, last night's episode of Saturday Night Live happened to be "The Best of Christopher Walken," and the Cowbell sketch was the second one featured (incidentally, I looked up the lyrics for the song featured, "(Don't Fear) The Reaper," and it's rather creepy). Then, this morning at Mass, we didn't hear any cowbell, but there was a very amusing tambourine player (an aside: I realized this morning that the tambourine is actually more distracting than the cowbell). I assumed that, as usually happens, the tambourine player was also singing. When we walked past on our way out of the Sanctuary during the post-Mass song, Em and I observed that said tambourine player bore a striking resemblence to Will Ferrell as the Cowbell Player. Thankfully, the tambourine man wasn't dancing around - at least, not when we walked past - but he seemed very focused on what seemed to be his only purpose at the moment: shaking that tambourine. Of course, as Jess pointed out after Mass (and I'm paraphrasing here): "Tambourine players are very serious about what they do."

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com