The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Close Enough

Something happened last night that made me very glad that we’re starting school soon, as there are clearly some people around who need just a little more education (yeah, yeah, I know – big surprise).  I was walking out of work last night, carrying a copy of Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens.  One of the other employees looked at it and said, “Charles Dickens…Didn’t he write The Nightmare Before Christmas?”  It took me a minute to make the connection, and then I replied, “No, but he did write A Christmas Carol.”  Her response?  “Oh, yeah.  Whatever.  Close enough.”  I’ve seen a lot of things, but that’s the first time I’ve ever seen Charles Dickens confused for Tim Burton.

Incidentally, Our Mutual Friend happens to be the best work of fiction I’ve read in quite some time, and the BBC movie is absolutely amazing.  I highly recommend one or both to anyone who has a little spare time.

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com