The thoughts, ideas, findings, and fancies of a Catholic student at Our Lady's University.

Monday, April 04, 2005

The nuns had to cook for themselves (or: Poverty, Chastity, and Piety)

On the way into Mass yesterday, we overheard an...amusing exchange between two talk show hosts on AM1500 (I think the show was called "Poli-chics" or something like that)

(Some of this is paraphrased)

Lady 1: ...So why did you leave the Church? Was it because they wouldn't let you be a priest?
Lady 2: That's right.
1: Well, why couldn't you just become a nun?
2: Well, because the nuns always had to take the 3 vows of poverty, chastity, and...what was the other one?
1: Wasn't is piety?
2: No, it wasn't piety. I think it was.......Oh well, I don't remember. Anyway, it always seemed to me that the nuns had to take all the vows, but the priests were rolling in dough. I mean, they went golfing, and they went on vacation, and they had a maid...
1: Don't you think that might be because people gave them those things?
2: Well, maybe, but the nuns had to cook for themselves.

And a bit later, while speculating on who might be elected the next Pope:

1: Now, one of those Cardinals, I think it's the German one [Ratzinger], isn't he involved in Opus Dei, that radically conservative Catholic sect?
2: Was it the German one? I can't remember...
1: I think it was the German one...
2: And Opus Dei...Isn't that mentioned in the book...Oh, what was it called?
1: Ummm...The DaVinci Code?
2: Yeah, that was it!

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com